Bulldog Barker

Jamblocks make an appearance in the middle school

A+Jamblock+is+placed+on+a+door+to+prevent+intruders+from+entering+the+room%2C+as+shown+above.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

A Jamblock is placed on a door to prevent intruders from entering the room, as shown above.

Logan Bickerstaff

Logan Bickerstaff

Logan Bickerstaff

Pogue Regan, News Editor

The Freedom Area Middle School and High School participated in an active intruder drill on Nov. 28. There were numerous components to the drill. Teachers were told to use the run, fight, hide methods based on the announcements and the sound in the hallways. But one item stood out- the bright yellow Jamblocks. The Jamblocks were to be used if the teacher decided to hide in their classrooms.

There’s a simple concept behind Jamblocks. A staff member slides the Jamblock under the door and turns it on its side to lock the door, preventing the door from opening from the outside. The design was made by a former teacher who understood all the possibilities of an active intruder. Jamblocks are being used all over the United States in hospitals, colleges, businesses, and government buildings. There is a very slim chance of the Jamblocks not working. They essentially prevent the ability to break through the door.

About the Contributors
Pogue Regan, News Editor

Hello, my name is Pogue Regan. I am in seventh grade and this is my third year in newspaper. I am the News Editor for the Bulldog Barker. I enjoy newspaper...

Logan Bickerstaff, Social Media Editor

Hello, my name is Logan Bickerstaff. I am in seventh grade, I have been on the Bulldog Barker staff for three years. I am the Social Media editor. I enjoy...

Joanna Odebode, Writer

My name is Oluwagbemiga Joanna Damilola Odebode.  I am in sixth grade. I’m one of the Staff Writers for the Freedom Area Middle School Newspaper. This...

The Student News Site of Freedom Area Middle School