The winter band concert: A wonderful start to the holiday season

Ms.+Emily+Rickard%2C+band+director%2C+conducting+the+seventh+and+eighth+grade+band+at+the+winter+band+concert+on+Dec.+13+in+the+Freedom+High+School+auditorium.+

Tracy Brien Photography: Used with permission

Ms. Emily Rickard, band director, conducting the seventh and eighth grade band at the winter band concert on Dec. 13 in the Freedom High School auditorium.

This year’s Winter Band Concert was held at the High School auditorium on Tuesday, Dec. 13. The band was conducted by Ms. Emily Rickard, the band director for grades 5-12. Band performances consisted of the sixth grade band, seventh and eighth grade combined band, high school jazz band, and high school concert band.

“I would definitely like to have the high schoolers and middle schoolers perform together at the spring concert. We had a lot of fun doing it last year and I definitely like when middle schoolers can play with the high schoolers. It would just depend on scheduling,” Ms. Rickard stated. 

“I think it went well, it was definitely different from my first one, because this year I was one of the eighth graders, and the eighth graders are the oldest, so we have to be good role models. I am glad I got to participate, and I do feel that it was a good experience. It enlightened some of the other students to participate in band more,” Makaela Jordan, eighth grader, stated. 

“I think it really went well for this being our first winter concert, I think it was really great because we got to do a sheet of music instead of a song that is four measures long. It was a good experience,” Madison Capehart, sixth grader, stated.

In all, the band concert ran smoothly, with festive performances by the bands.