Freedom alumnus teaches sixth-grade chemistry using household items

Christopher Denkovich

More stories from Christopher Denkovich

Kristy Sturgess and her team of Pitt graduates give chemistry presentation to the sixth grade.

Christopher Denkovich

Using chemistry to create chain reactions, clocks, explosions, and fluorescent glow sticks were all things that the sixth graders experienced when Freedom alumni Kristy Sturgess and several colleagues came to Freedom Middle School on Wednesday, Nov 19. Sturgess and her colleagues graduated from Freedom in 2015 and went to Pitt University to major in Chemical Engineering. Their presentation focused on how kids can make chain reactions in a safe way using only items you could find in your household. 

The group of Pitt students had chosen several student volunteers who got to choose the colors and pour ingredients to make the chain reactions activate.  The students got to dress as a scientist including safety goggles with a large white lab coat. Students then got up on stage and the group step by step helped the volunteer make the chain reactions.

Ms. Ging, the sixth-grade science teacher, organized the presentation. Ging hopes that the students will be able to make the connections to the Matter and Atoms unit in science that they will begin after the new year. Ging would like for students to be able to see the relevance and importance of what they learn in school and how they can use the knowledge taught in school when looking for jobs in the real world.  

Sturgess and her group of volunteers will come to the middle school and present for the sixth grade every year.  It is part of their outreach hours they are required to complete for classes. 

Sturgess said that she enjoys doing the presentation and is looking forward to doing it next year.  The sixth-grade chemistry presentation is a safe way for kids to learn chemistry and the process of chain reaction and learning useful skills to help kids get jobs in real life.