Spook-tober loses relevance

Logan Bickerstaff

More stories from Logan Bickerstaff

As a child gets older, Halloween becomes less relevant.

Halloween is one of the biggest love-hate holidays. As a younger kid, Halloween is everything: free candy, a way to hang out with your friends, and finally to have an excuse to dress up.

Over the years, everything about Halloween gets repetitive or boring. Multiple seventh and eighth graders view Halloween as “childish” or “irrelevant” as children grow up. One big reason middle school kids still trick or treat is because of free candy. Kids of all ages love candy, so when they can go chill with friends, and get candy, it’s a win-win. Many kids believe that trick-or-treating is irrelevant because students are maturing and it is embarrassing.  

“It’s embarrassing to see an older kid trick-or-treating [to the older student]”  said Sarah Lisanti, seventh-grader. This is one reason why trick-or-treating is “lame” and irrelevant. Student participation has decreased rapidly in all spooky things like costume parties, school parties, candy trading, and over Halloween in general. All eight of the students, in seventh and eighth grade, interviewed said that Halloween, in general, is childish.

As one matures, the night of Halloween transitions to a night of pranks. Multiple people have been toilet papered, and even chased little kids with scary masks. This makes Halloween a very rough night for some adults. Adults also have to buy candy which amounts to over 25 dollars a year and 2.5 billion for the United States. 

Students believe that their participation in Halloween has gone down as a whole. If the rate of participation continues, by the time students reach tenth grade most students will completely stop trick-or-treating. I would make a skeleton joke, but you wouldn’t find it very humerus, creep it real, till next time.

Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.