Bulldog Barker

Last super lunar eclipse of the century seen in its entirety by United States

Full lunar eclipse turns red in the night sky over New Sewickley Township  on Jan. 22.

Chase Grable

Full lunar eclipse turns red in the night sky over New Sewickley Township on Jan. 22.

Joanna Odebode, Writer

On Sunday, Jan. 21, there was a super lunar eclipse. It’s the last lunar eclipse that our area will see until 2021. A super lunar eclipse occurs when the moon is at its closest point to Earth in its elliptical orbit around our planet, which is called a “supermoon.” As a result of these special cases — and because lunar eclipses are also known as “blood moons” because of the red color that the moon turns when it is fully eclipsed by the Earth— some are calling this eclipse a “super blood wolf moon.” The January full moon is sometimes dubbed a “wolf moon” in the folklore tradition because it occurs at a time of year when hungry wolves howled outside villages. The January 2019 lunar eclipse began at 9:36 p.m. Sunday and lasted until 2:48 a.m. Monday (Eastern time), starting and ending as the moon passed through the penumbra, the lighter part of Earth’s shadow.

The last total eclipse of the moon occurred on July 27, 2018, and was visible across Africa and parts of Asia. This year’s total eclipse was be the first to be seen in its entirety in North America in nearly three and half years. A full lunar eclipse will usually occur around twice every three years. However, the number of total lunar eclipses during a year varies. In general, the amount of total lunar eclipses in a year ranges from none to three. Lunar eclipses are less common than solar eclipses, with a maximum of three occurring in any given location per year, though some years there can be none. However, each lunar eclipse is visible from more than half the Earth. This eclipse was rare,because it lasted for so long. The moon was in the Earth’s shadow for four hours and totally eclipsed for one hour and 43 minutes.

About the Contributors
Joanna Odebode, Writer

My name is Oluwagbemiga Joanna Damilola Odebode.  I am in sixth grade. I’m one of the Staff Writers for the Freedom Area Middle School Newspaper. This...

Chase Grable, Writer

My name is Chase Grable. I am a Freedom Area Middle School student in seventh grade. What I enjoy about the Bulldog Barker is it is a chance for students...

• Last super lunar eclipse of the century seen in its entirety by United States

News

Freedom Area Middle School hosts Beaver County RoboSumo competition

News

The adventures of the sixth grade ducks come to an end… almost

News

Smith shares “State of the Building” press conference with Bulldog Barker staff

News

Western Pennsylvania Congressman Conor Lamb visits Freedom

News

“Blackboots’ Lost Loot” a pirate success

News

Penny drive helps Mr. Matthews

News

Freedom Math 24 players make finals for the first time

News

Schools take action as Juuls become more popular among students

News

Longest-ever government shutdown affects local citizens

News

PDE identifies FMS as Additional Targeted Support and Improvement School

The Student News Site of Freedom Area Middle School