Bulldog Barker

Eighth grade learns about local Indians with creative history project

Jacob DiCenzo, Managing Editor

The eighth grade Indian projects are projects that show how the Native Americans lived and survived in America. Students made a presentation and built a model of something a Native American tribe used. Mr. Kappas, the eighth grade history teacher, said that the students usually enjoy the projects, but their favorite part is building the model. He also said it is required to learn about Native Americans, so why not make it fun? Eighth grade student, Luke Snavely, said that he enjoyed the project because it was hands on, and it was easy, but took a while.

To begin the project, students would choose one of the 8 tribes native to Western Pennsylvania: Mohawk, Oneida, Seneca, Shawnee, Wyandot, Delaware, Onondaga, and Tuscarawas. The students would create a PowerPoint presentation about the tribe they picked.  The different categories they had to cover were: family structure and gender roles, clothing, housing, sports and games, arts and music, weapons and warfare, foods hunting and fishing, and transportation. The students then had to build something for the project: a model of a home, clothing, jewelery, a map of the different Indian villages, a recipe, sporting equipment, a skit, puppet show, short film, or a poster project of weapons and tools. Finally, the students would present in front of their class. The Indian project was a creative way to learn about the Indians that lived in this area many years ago.

About the Contributor
Jacob DiCenzo, Managing Editor

Hi, I’m Jacob DiCenzo. I am in eighth grade and I have been on the Bulldog Barker for three years. I am the Managing Editor for the Bulldog Barker, which...

The Student News Site of Freedom Area Middle School