Making Holiday Music

Chorus and Band concerts bring joy to all with their music!

Wyatt Miller

The band and chorus each gave holiday concerts this month after a year off from live music due to COVID-19.

The band and chorus each gave holiday concerts this year after a year off from live music due to COVID-19. (Wyatt Miller)

Well it is Christmas time again and this year the middle school Band and Chorus are having  their Christmas concerts.  This is a big change for both band and chorus  because the past couple of years they have not been able to have concerts due to  COVID. 

The Chorus concert was on Wednesday,  December 8 at 7 p.m.  This included the middle school and high school Chorus.  Mrs. Newman, the chorus teacher, was expecting a lot of people to be there since they have not been to a concert in a while. 

“I feel really nervous but excited. I think this will be a good experience for me,” Abby Tedesco, fifth grader, said. 

High School did one song, seventh and eighth graders did four songs and sixth and fifth graders also did four songs and the last song everybody sang together was Season of Peace. Mrs. Newman says the students are going to do really well and she can not wait. Mrs. Newman is having all students wear white on top and black on the bottom. Mrs. Newman wants everybody to wear their masks. Mrs. Newman says the hardest song is probably Nutcracker Jingles sung by 5th and 6th grade Chorus. On Wednesday Dec. 9, the chorus did a concert for the third and fourth graders. 

Now it is time to talk about the Band concert. Ms. Rickard, band director, had it on Wednesday, Dec. 15.  She was really excited about it and the band students worked really hard. She had students in 6th-12th  grade in the concert. 

“I am really excited for the concert since we have not had one for a few years prior to COVID but I think this is a big change for the students,” Ms. Rickard said. She had each grade play three to five songs. They had a lot of different instruments playing in the concert. The concert was in the High School auditorium at 7 p.m.. Fifth grade was not a part of the concert since they just started a band this year. She thinks that the students will do really well and she is confident in them. Next year fifth graders will be in the band concert. Mrs. Rickard is following the mask policy for the concert and will be spaced out as much as they can for seating.