Middle School Keystone Exam scores are higher than ever

The Keystone Exams are tests that are dreaded by every student who has to take them, either in middle school or high school. Although they might not enjoy taking these assessments,  students must pass the Algebra I, Literature, and Biology Keystones to graduate high school. At Freedom Middle School, honors Algebra I students have the privilege of taking the Keystones in eighth grade after they finish the Algebra 1 course. In the 2018-2019 school year, the eighth grade class scored better than any previous years.

Keystone Exams are one requirement students need to be able to graduate in Pennsylvania. Even though the Keystones are a requirement, colleges do not look at the results of the tests when determining admission.

In the 2018-2019 school year, Freedom Middle School’s Keystone test-takers scored higher than ever. Students who took the test included the eighth grade honors students and two seventh graders, who were also in the class. This made up over thirty students from Ms. McCanna and Ms. Post’s Algebra I classes. Out of all of these students, all except one earned a proficient or advanced score. This left Freedom Middle School with a 97.5 percent passing rate. 

Mr. Smith, Freedom Middle School principal, said this is the highest our district has scored on the tests. Post stated that the Keystone review packets students were required to do really helped prepare for the tests, along with completing the polynomial unit. She said the students were very good at asking questions and they used their work time efficiently. Post said if this year’s students work well, think outside the box, and ask questions, this score can be maintained.